Sweet Corn & Kale Summer Reboot Salad
This is hands down one of my favourite summertime salads! The sweet corn mixed with the miso dressing create an incredible flavour combination! I promise, you won't even know there's kale in there! 😜
I love this salad because you can make it ahead of time and then just stick it in your fridge until you're ready to serve it. Some salads will wilt in the fridge, but due to the hearty kale leaves it holds up really well!
As a result this is the perfect salad to make for a pot luck gathering, or to prep for the work week ahead!
2 ears of summer corn (or one can of corn)
4-6 cups kale, washed and finely chopped (remove thick stems)
1 small red bell pepper, diced
1/4 cup shredded carrots
1 small white or sweet onion, chopped
1/4 cup chopped red cabbage
1/3 cup raw organic hemp seeds
*optional - 1 package of Smoky Tempeh Strips (here)
Sweet Miso Tahini Dressing:
2 Tbsp white miso paste (here)
1 1/2 Tbsp tahini (here)
1 1/2 Tbsp grade B maple syrup
1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 1/2 Tbsp tamari (here)
1-2 Tbsp lemon juice
pinch of fine black pepper
1/4 tsp coriander
pinch of cayenne
1. Boil water in a large pot. When water is boiling, drop corn and cook for 3-5 minutes, until the colour darkens a bit. (You can cook shorter or simply serve corn raw if you'd like.) Pull corn from pot and set aside to cook a bit. (Ignore this step if using canned corn). Fry tempeh in a pan if using and set aside.
2. In a large salad tossing bowl, add all the dressing ingredients (including spices) and with a spoon start whipping until smooth and creamy. Set aside.
3. Prep the veggies. Wash/dry kale and remove tough stems. Chop finely. Also finely chop the flat leaf parsley. Chop onion and bell pepper. Chop cabbage and carrots (if adding). Add all prepped veggies to large salad bowl with the dressing in it.
4. Toss the veggies with the dressing very well. Toss for a few minutes until the veggies have absorbed much dressing and the kale has wilted down a bit. (If you'd like to add more or different veggies, go for it.)
5. Grab your corn and carefully slice off the kernels and add directly to the salad bowl. I usually use a bread knife and hold the corn cob carefully with a paper towel so it doesn't slip. Add both cobs - about 1 1/2 cups of kernels.
6. Toss the warm corn with the salad. This will further wilt and marinate the veggies.
7. Add in the hemp seeds and toss.
8. Do a taste test. You can alter the flavour if desired. Add more lemon juice for a wetter, tangier flavour, more oil for a richer texture or more miso, tamari or table salt for more salt. You can also add more veggies if the dressing as is is too strong for you. Just add in another handful of chopped kale or other veggies and toss. Top with cooked tempeh before serving (if using).
Serve right away (slightly warm) or allow to marinate and chill in the fridge for up to 8 hours. If storing in the fridge over 8 hours you may want to add dressing later and just set prepped veggies in the fridge covered. Leftovers keep in the fridge for up to three days.